In an age where new singers come in hordes from nowhere and rapidly scale the pinnacles of fame through a variety of reality shows and other similar events, and then get lost into the dark recesses of oblivion equally quickly, Manhar Udhas has maintained a formidable reputation of a veteran singer of Gujarati and Hindi ghazals and songs through his four decades of singing. I recently attended his live concert and realized why he has been successful in creating a very niche and discerning, loyal fan base.
- He has been singing since more than 40 years.
- He has created his signature tune base which are predictable yet refreshingly hummable.
- All his album names are of one word, all beginning with ‘A’.
- Careful selection of songs and ghazals reflecting various colors of life and having emotionally touching lyrics.
- During his concert, he shares stories from his personal life experiences. This time too, among many other things, he also shared with us how accidentally he entered into the world of Hindi film playback singing.
- He went to the audience and shook hands with many or hugged them while singing one of his famous Hindi film songs, “Har kisi ko nahin milta yahan pyaar zindagi mein… Khush naseeb hain woh jinko hai mili yeh bahar zindagi mein…”
Really, Manhar Udhas has not won but has truly earned the love of his fans.